Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default slate roof - felt or not?

blue wrote:
On 28 Apr, 16:56, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:

There are lots of slipped slates on my roof, with rusty nails,
the local builder recommends reslating the whole roof
rather than patching it again and again.

Its always in the builder's interest to recommend this, as they get
4 figures rather than 3. IMLE most of these recommendations have
been inappropriate. Slate roofs shed slates over time, and the point
at which its best to reslate is purely economic, ie when the cost of
replacing a handful of slates every so many years works out to
more than the cost of a reroof. One house had around 20 slates
replaced several years ago after decades of neglect, and hasnt
had any more work needed since. I havent seen or know the
history of the roof, but more often than not just replacing missing
slates is the more economic and satisfactory option.

At the moment there is no felt, he advises felt,
is there any reason not to use felt?

felt is a good backup, though not essential functionally.

or is there an even better option?

yes, fibre cement. But it costs, and the cost isnt normally
warranted.

I hope you stay well away from foam. There are more probems with
it, such as the fact that it becomes impossible to inspect the roof
structure, hence if structural rot occurs, you wont know until there
is an eventual complete collapse. And it does significantly raise the
chance of rot.

NT