Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Weight of a railroad tie?

"dpb" wrote

Now, unfortunately, often the railroads use the big rippers that go down
the center of the track and split them in two and simultaneously roll the
tie and rail to each side of the roadbed before laying new seamless
rail--consequently used ties the traditional way of buying them from the
railroad and going and picking them up along the right-of-way where they
were being replace is getting pretty hard to come by here. My pile is
down to only a couple dozen so I've been keeping my eyes open but nothing
has shown up yet...

In my part of the country, you can buy some really old ones with a Wanted ad
in the local Quick Quarter or on the AM Tradio station. And sometimes
remarkably reasonable.

Steve in Utah, where they found a new use for sheep