Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Ping: Nick Mueller re. technical German

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure if you still read r.c.m, but I'm hoping you might be able
to help me with a couple of the finer points of technical German:

"Versuche mit geschweißten Trägern zur Beurteilung der Eignung der
verwendeten Werkstoffe und der Art der Herstellung der Träger. Prüfung
der Werkstoffe mit dem Nutschweißbiegeversuch und mit dem
Kerbschlagbiegeversuch."

In the sentences above, is "beams" the best translation of "Trägern", or
is a more general term such as "members" or "specimens" more appropriate?

Also, what does "Nutschweißbiegeversuch" mean to you? The best
translation I can figure out is "groove weld bending test", and were it
not for the fact that "Kerbschlagbiegeversuch" appears in the same
sentence, I might have thought it referred to the Charpy impact test.
But instead I'm assuming that it refers to a slow speed bending test
where the bending moment required, or the degree of bending sustained
before failure, is the quantity measured rather than energy.

The complete translation which I've figured out is (do correct me if I'm
wrong):

"Experiments with welded beams to assess the suitability of the
materials employed and the method of fabricating the beams. Testing the
materials with the groove weld bending test and notched bar impact test."

If you can shed any light on this, I'd be grateful. Or if Nick doesn't
respond, perhaps someone else can?

Many thanks,

Chris