Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Intermittent fault in Eizo 19" T766 CRT

Wiebe Cazemier wrote:

On Monday 28 April 2008 19:00, James Sweet wrote:

Yep, sounds like it really is the tube. If it's a heater-cathode short, you
could isolate the heater, powering it with 2 or 3 turns of wire around the
flyback core. Careful not to overdo it, it really only takes a couple of
turns on these high frequency transformers.

Indeed, I read about that. The downside is, that image quality will suffer,
because the cathode will/can be in contact with those wires, which have stray
capacitance, and noise pickup, etc.

Additionally, I don't know if the Trinitrons feature of automatic color
calibration touches the filament current, but if so, that will render that
feature useless, and it's a feature I love about this monitor. Do you know if
it does so?

But I will try the shake/tap method a bit more first. The short is every so
slight, that even after 20 seconds of warming up, the fault is almost
completely gone and hardly reproduceable. I wonder if it also does it when
it's upside-down...

why not use a isolation xformer for the heaters?

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"