Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18948 Ignoramus18948 is offline

Default Ping: Iggy

On 2008-04-28, Jon Danniken wrote:
"Ignoramus18948" wrote:
, Jon Danniken wrote:
Hey Iggy,

I am in the process of converting my buzzbox to something resembling a
150A
TIG supply. I already have the AC-DC section figured out, as well as the
HF
area.

What is your OCV?

80V on the low range, for AC. I'll probably lose a bit after it goes
through the bridge.

I believe you used SCRs in a circuit you used to control the output
current of one of your machines, and I am very interested in this.
Do you by any chance have a schematic of this section of your
circuit, and/or any other reference schematics of going about this
topology for a high current supply?

Jon, I have some documentation along with parts pictures, sample
welds, etc, he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...New-Rectifier/

If your welder is single phase (mine is 3 phase), it changes a lot due
to ripple.

All together, this was a moderately expensive project and I would be
better off just buying a nice welder. It was fun, but very time
consuming.

I also post the source code of my welder, written in BASIC, he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...ier/source.txt

It is under GPL, so feel free to do whatever you want with it, as long
as you keep it free software.

Sure, thanks Iggy. I forgot yours was a three phase sysem, which does shift
things around a bit. I'll look through the page you provided, that looks
like a good place to start.

Another point is, SCR driver boards are expensive. I was very lucky in
that for some readon, PCTI liked my kids site algebra.com so much that
they donated a SCR driver device to me, which was easy to use.

Still, I would be far better off applying my efforts elsewhere,
wotking less hours, and buying a great new welder. That said, I
learned something.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/