Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon[_4_] Jon[_4_] is offline

Default OT - Switch Operated Parking Brake

"Pete Keillor" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:37:44 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

JR North wrote:
(top posting fixed)

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
My curious mind just wants to know....

I aquired a used 2004 Lincoln LS and it's the first car I've ever
owned where the parking brake wasn't applied "mechanically" through
pulling on a lever pivoted near the floor or pulled out from under the
dash or stepped on with my left foot.

What's the operating system which responds to the finger operated
parking brake switch located on the console and puts on the parking
brake?

Is it as foolproof as the older style mechanically operated "emergency
brakes"?

Since automotive technology and complexity has advanced to a point
where I find myself "fixing my cars with my checkbook" more often than
with my own tools, I haven't bothered to aquire a shop manual for this
beast yet, and may never, so I can't look there.

Thanks guys,

Simple system that uses the ABS to pump and lock hydraulically either
end or all brakes. Just peachy until some component bleeds down from
age and the brakes let off. I suppose, though, the system would watch
for that with a sensor, and keep the pressure up. Ha, another sensor to
set off the MIL and cost bucks to replace. Of course, park brake (a pox
and a scourge of rust on anyone who calls them 'Emergency Brakes'-just
pull one in an emergency and see what happens) cables seize up from
water/salt intrusion in the cables, so you really can't win...anyway...
JR
Dweller in the cellar
.

It's called an "emergency break" because if you try to use it, you
create an emergency.

Years ago I read in Car & Driver of a rally driver who used the lever
type to force his front wheel drive rally car into oversteer to get
the tail out in corners. Supposedly he got around quicker that way. I
doubt the average hard surface driver should try that. I wonder if he
ever forgot to hold the release button in. Nahhh.

Pete Keillor

You can do that to get a beetle to snap around... Um, I would imagine =)