Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cod Roe Cod Roe is offline

Default slate roof - felt or not?

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

At the moment there is no felt, he advises felt,
is there any reason not to use felt?

or is there an even better option?

I'm very happy with my DuPont Tyvek Supro sealed counter-battened
permeable membrane system, this tells you everything you need to know:

http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Constru...oofs_tyvek.pdf

It provides good ventilation to stop water vapor developing in the loft,
but also stops the wind blowing through, especially if you seal under
the eaves carriers with expanding foam. Using this technique gets the
most out of your insulation so keeps your heating bills down since the
heat is not blown away through the loft.

On the slate front I'm very pleased with Spannish Forna, you might want
to have a word with these guys:

http://www.bellevueroofingsupplies.co.uk/

who seems to cut a very good deal, but they like you to collect from any
distance.

One word of caution, be very careful with how your contractor intends to
deal with the edges, abutments, verges, valleys, whatever. A number of
GRP products, such as secret gutters for abutments are available which
ensure you don't get leak problems, far too many try to bodge flashings
without soakers or secret gutters. I had to re-timber a roof because of
lack of attention to detail in this area. Roofing really seems to be a
case of the devil being in the detail.