Posted to uk.d-i-y
blue blue is offline

Default slate roof - felt or not?

On 28 Apr, 16:56, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:
There are lots of slipped slates on my roof, with rusty nails,
the local builder recommends reslating the whole roof
rather than patching it again and again.

At the moment there is no felt, he advises felt,
is there any reason not to use felt?

or is there an even better option?

I will use a professional for this
as I almost broke my back in a fall a few years ago,
and ladders scare me!

--

* * * * * * * * * *[george]

If you have this situation it is indicative of the current roof
reaching the end of its useful life. It is certainly better to re-
cover that just patch.

I would suggest that a breathable membrane is better than 'felt'
see :
http://www.bbacerts.co.uk/pdf/brtu.pdf

You should not have to spend too much on new slates as the existing
slates should be perfectly ok, unless they are spalling or going
'mushy' , so don't pay for a whole roof of slates when you shouldn't
need more than 10% replacement (broken, missing).

Whatever you do don't use that stick-on-foam stuff it will rot the
woodwork.

best of luck