Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Question- Wood bees and firewood

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote

I have about 1 cord in my backyard. It's the season to have a bee problem
and they like that area. Since I fully plan to burn this wood in the
fireplace next winter, I cant just spray it with pesticides. I do not
have
a shed.

Assuming you mean carpenter bees-

Probably. I'm not real savy on such. Fat suckers. Bumblebee looking to
me.

If you're going to burn it next winter then you have begun the
extermination campaign. They will lay eggs in your firewood. You
will burn it before they hatch. There might be some hibernating

True, but the issue is more yard safety when we are out there now.

parents who will wander out and stagger drunkenly about your house for
a while if you bring the wood in early. Next year you will have
eliminated one generation of bees that use your firewood for
egg-laying.

Ugg, thats all I need. Drunk parents in the house g.

I was thinking to spray a plastic tarp, then put this over the wood.

Not a good idea. It holds too high a humidity- and will provide cover
for even more vermin.

Humm. I wasnt thinking a tight cover, more an open ended sort of thing.
Some of the other say I can spray it now and it will all dissapate before
winter burning, but I'm not totally comfortable with that idea.

I'm wondering if there is some more 'natural' solution I could use that will
make them just prefer another spot. Like, if they dont like salt, to salt
the pile (which shouldnt disrupt burning it later as far as I know). Sorta
like I control ants with dry grits on the pile in dry weather, or grass
growth in some areas with vinegar. If they hate marigolds like some 'bugs'
do, I could put lots of that all around but somehow I dont think these
critters care about marigolds...