Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Lathe update/questions

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:31:29 -0500, Ignoramus30765

On 2008-04-27, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:34:18 -0500, Ignoramus30765

On 2008-04-27, Black Dragon wrote:
Steve Lusardi wrote:

Please do not get me wrong. I am not prejudiced against Chinese machines.
They are great value for money, but you need to understand what you are
buying. I have had very good luck with some, but I have really seen some
junk.

I take it you've never seen any of the junk made here in the USA?

I personally have not seen any junk tools made in the USA.

Neither have I, actually...and Im pretty tool savvy.

By junk, I mean the tool either did not function as intended, or broke
much before its expected lifetime, under normal use. I cannot recall a
single instance of a US made tool failing in this manner.

True if "expected lifetime" is a few hours. Example: Black & Decker
consumer (read disposable) tools long before Asian imports were
common. Homelite chainsaws starting more than a decade ago. Some hand
tools from Stanley and General. Etc etc.