Posted to alt.home.repair
headware headware is offline

Default Did I just flood the wall behind my tub?

On Apr 27, 8:56 pm, headware wrote:
I was replacing the caulking in my bathtub and I removed caulking
around the drain trip cover plate just below the faucet. I also
loosened the plate it self so I could clean the tub behind it. I then
screwed the plate back into place but did NOT caulk it. I then started
to fill the bathtub up with water, got distracted, and accidentally
filled the tub about half way up the cover plate. I turned off the
water and could hear it draining. I know it was draining through cover
plate because I had duct taped the actual drain closed.

My question is where did that water go? Did I just flood the wall
behind my bathtub or does the space behind the cover plate lead down
into the drain? Diagrams online seem to indicate that it goes into the
drain, which is in line with the sound I heard, but I wanted to make
sure.

Thanks,
Dave

After doing a little more research, it looks like the plate is
actually the overflow safety mechanism and is intended to drain water
out of the tub in case you leave it running. I'm not sure why this one
had been caulked since that would seem to negate its purpose, but I
guess the point is that these do, in fact, lead to the drain. I won't
replace the caulking around it.

Dave