Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Weight of a railroad tie?

In article ,
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 04/27/08 08:04 pm RBM wrote:

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
How much does a railroad tie weigh? We are thinking of using some for a
landscaping project but are wondering how difficult they might be to
handle.

If you're referring to real RR ties, and not pressure treated landscape
ties, they're not only heavy, but they're dirty and messy, and I'd guess
about 100 lbs each. More important, they're soaked with creosote, which
stinks, and it's sticky, and you certainly won't easily get it out of your
clothes

I did rough calculations and guessed maybe 150 lbs. I know about the
creosote and have no problem with the smell. But are RR ties still
sticky by the time they are "pensioned off" by the railroads?

Perce

I picked up a dozen or so a number of years back, and they weren't
sticky. And judging by the health of plants nearby, they also don't seem
to be leeching anything detrimental into the soil.

I don't remember them being all that heavy. 100 pounds isn't much for
two guys to handle readily.