Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Weight of a railroad tie?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 04/27/08 08:04 pm RBM wrote:

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

How much does a railroad tie weigh? We are thinking of using some for
a landscaping project but are wondering how difficult they might be
to handle.

If you're referring to real RR ties, and not pressure treated
landscape ties, they're not only heavy, but they're dirty and messy,
and I'd guess about 100 lbs each. More important, they're soaked with
creosote, which stinks, and it's sticky, and you certainly won't
easily get it out of your clothes

I did rough calculations and guessed maybe 150 lbs. I know about the
creosote and have no problem with the smell. But are RR ties still
sticky by the time they are "pensioned off" by the railroads?

Perce

'pends on how long they've been laying around. But I can tell you from
personal experience that unless you and several very good friends are
both large and in good shape, that trying to move them around by hand
will get real tiring real fast.

You'll need a chainsaw to cut 'em, too. Just make sure that there
aren't any spikes hiding in them.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.