Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default CFL vs Incandescent

"bonnie" wrote in message
Given, CFL's are thought to be more energy efficient than incandescent
bulbs. But I heard they use more energy to turn on.

What if it is in a room that is used infrequently, a closet or guest
room for instance. In other words a room in which you would go in and
out of pretty quickly.

How long would a CFL have to be left on to realize the net energy
savings.

thanks for your input,
bonnie

I'm not a big fan of CFL lamps to begin with. I find the color of virtually
every type I've tried, to be annoying. Having said that, they do cost a lot
less per lumen than incandescent lights. I use them in areas like the play
room where the kids aren't bothered by them, and the lights are practically
always on. They are pretty worthless in rooms such as closets, where you
are in and out in a hurry, simply because it takes a short time before they
come up to full brightness.