Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I have a opportunity to buy a cat pee house, Should I?

been there done all this urine soaked home thing...... its a good bit
of work but not super expensive and well worth the efforts

Background my mom, step dad and 3 incontenient dogs. honestly god rest
ther souls all were incontenient.

so much so the light brown hardwood floors turned black from pee.
house reeked

took 4 months for myself and a friend to fix all the odor issues. plus
renovate nicely

first you CANT wash it off, its soaked in everything.............

begin by removing all possesions, carpeting drapes etc and toss in
trash.

then scrub the entire place down,,,,,,,, nice strong spic and span or
similiar so you feel less gross working there......

then replace any damaged drywall, make mechanical repairs etc
ventilate well during this time to lessen the odor. replace anything
urine damaged.

clean all the air ducts or have them cleaned and deodorized, espically
air returns that tend to collect dust that stinks like pee......

then paint all the walls with oil based BIN or KILZ primer sealer.
refinish hardwood floors with OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE ONLY, so in moist
weather odor never returns, during renovating oil based kilz any
places that will be covered by say new cabinets

outdoor poly concrete floors if you have them.

if hardwood floors were stained they can be bleached to remove black.
we just sanded and sealed them, and covered with carpet, color didnt
matter

then paint home normally, install new appliances, carpeting etc and
move in.

if you follow these simple instructions there will be NO ODOR

but dont scrimp on primer sealer or outdoor poly.

incidently this is exactly what fire restoration companies do in fire
damaged smoke odor homes.,

you can call them for a estimate, bend over no KY they all charge big
bucks.

me and my wife looked at a cat pee house in orlando a few years ago,
no biggie for me, told the realtor what to do. she said obviously you
have been thru this before........

we didnt move, and i still want to move to somewhere that never sees
snow

buy it if you can get a great deal on price!! get fire restoration
estimate and present to sellers with a home inspection to drive down
price futher

I would buy a pee soaked home in a instant its no big deal