Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default wood glue, waterproof and cheap

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Any suggestions on a *low priced* waterproof glue please? Years
ago in the woodworking class at school we used to have pots of glue
(made I think from horses hooves or something similar) that we used
to heat over boiling water to get it to be soft enough to use.

Is it still possible to get this type of glue?

Yes, it is called hide glue. It is available in beads
to be mixed and used as you did in high school
and is also available in bottles liquid form. Hide
glue is not waterproof.

That it can be steamed loose to redo the joint is why musical instrument
makers/restorers like it.