Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert W Robert W is offline

Default I have a opportunity to buy a cat pee house, Should I?

wrote:

I have a chance to buy a house that the retail value is 435000 for
about 300000. The place really stinks from pet urine. It's mostly cat
but the neighbor said there were 2 dogs as well as the 9 cats.

Can I fax this place for 50000???? so I have money to renovate and
make a profit when I sell it?

I would consider it only if you can buy the property for the price of the
land. Based on your description, the building may be a write-off. Even
if you can fix up the pee damaged structure (and 9 cats not cared for can
really destroy a house, even without the dogs), you will never be able to
clean some areas, supports, subfloors, beams, etc. Don't forget that you
will have to disclose the original damage as well, which will decrease
your selling price and customer base.

A better option would be to demolish the house and build a new modern
house that will be much easier to sell and have better value for you.
Don't forget to consider demolition costs in your calculations, as well
as comparable recent house/land prices.