Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

wrote in message
In alt.engineering.electrical operator jay wrote:

| "You" wrote in message
| In article ,
|
| wrote:
|
| There are two different flavors of 220/230/240 volts. Some places
| have a
| simple system with one wire hot and one wire grounded. Other
| places have
| a split system where the voltage is split in half to get
| 110/115/120 volts
| relative to ground, by adding a additional "middle" conductor that
| is the
| grounded one.
|
| Sonny, you need to LEARN the difference between Ground and
| Neutral......
| before you spout any further BS.......
|
| What he wrote looks reasonable to me in terms of ground and neutral.
| Neutral is the grounded conductor where I live. He does not say to
| use a ground as a neutral, if that's what you're getting at. I can
| only guess that that may be what you're getting at, you haven't really
| said.

He might be one of those "knows just enough to be really dangerous" people
on the net. I didn't even mention "neutral". My intent was to explain it
in a simpler way for someone to just understand the basic difference. The
term "middle" was to convey a little more information than "neutral" would

SNIP

Well, I understood what he meant, but maybe I took it the wrong way. When he
said middle conudctor I was thinking the center lug on the transformer which
is grounded and used as the neutral.

Mike