Simon

Default Advice on smoothing plaster wall

"Fraser" wrote in message

Thanks for all the responces, more than I expected!

If I were to go with backing paper, is there any good way to avoid visable
seams? I read in another post someone suggesting leaving a small gap

between
each, and filling with caulk or plaster. Or can someone with average
papering ability get a decent effect by just papering normally, and having
them meet flushly?

Also, is heavy-weight neccessary? I've read in other posts that it may
shrink more than normal paper, making the gaps noticable.

Cheers,

Fraser.

Whether the heavyweight is necessary really depends on your walls and as I
can't see them, I can't comment. but the heavyweight is better at hiding
uneven walls, as is double lining.
As to laying technique, the paper is going to shrink a little and you are
stuck with that fact. There are 2 methods that I have seen used. 1 is to
overlap slightly, let it dry out and shrink and then sand the seams even.
The other is to butt them, or leave a slight gap, let it dry out and shrink,
then fill the gaps. The best stuff for filling the gaps, that I know of, is
something called Red Devil One-Time, it's a light weight non shrinking
filler and with a bit of work with a wet knife, you can make the seams
invisible.

hope that helps