Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Wireless N Routers

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 13:59:36 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

I was going to buy that same router, to replace my Linksys-g router and was told
(by a techie type working at the computer store) that unless we had "N" on our
computers, it was "backward compatible" to "G" and that's what we would (still)
have...
Bottom line in sorta English was he said that we would see no improvement with
the new router AND that it would not work with the extended range antennas that
I bought for our "G" router..
Ok, I'm out of breath now.. hope that helped a bit..

I often use my laptop in the shop (OBWW).

I was using a Netgear router and had indifferent connectivity in the
shop. The shop is about fifty feet on line of sight from the router
and is at a point at about forty five degrees down from the router's
position on the third floor of the house.

The signal must pass through a sliding glass door and the roof of the
shop, which is insulated with R-19 fluff (6 inches) and is further
composed of composite shingles and 5/8" decking.

We gave our daughter a Macbook for her birthday on the 23d.

I was against her joining Mac cult - but there it is.

It did not play well with the Netgear router.

I purchased a Linksys WRT160N router and five out of our six boxes
hooked up happily (including the Mac) - leaving only a Win95 era
laptop, whose USB adapter did not speak the current encryption (WPA2)
- no great loss.

I semi justified the purchase by assuming that the alleged increase in
range for the N router would mean that I would not have to be so fussy
about my positioning the laptop out in the shop.

Not so.

Here is my question - does the extended range depend on having a
wireless N adapter on the box, or is the range simply a fucntion of
the router signal?

All of my adapters, both internal and external are B and G.

tom - still barely in range in pennsyltucky.

Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet
www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

mac