Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] david.cawkwell@tesco.net is offline

Default Replacing uPVC door panel

On Apr 26, 6:22 pm, wrote:
Greetings,

My landlord has agreed to me fitting a cat flap in our front door on
the condition that I put everything back at the end of the tenancy. I
think the best idea is to to fit a replacement uPVC panel such that
the original can go back in without any hassle. From a little research
here this seems to be a common strategy.

Here's a picture of the panel in question (inner, left; outer, right).

http://i26.tinypic.com/2exr6zs.jpg

It has black plastic beading where the panel meets the mounting
strips, and the mounting strips themselves appear to be fairly firmly
attached to the frame itself. What is the method for removing a panel
of this type?

Once I've removed it and measured the panel size and thickness, how
much might I expect to pay for a replacement panel? (and any
recommendations in Cambridgeshire for sourcing one?)

Given this will only be a temporary arrangement (perhaps 3 years),
could I make a saving by fitting a suitably thick piece of plywood?
Presumably this would make fitting the cat flap easier, but could it
have security implications?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Joseph

Hello
From the picture it looks as if you have the older external beading.
basically to remove. With a hook of some type removed
the plastic/rubber strips from the inside of door.
On the outside of the door that will now allow you
to push back the panel. You should then be able to
remove the beading that goes around the panel on the outside.
Note you may need a putty/window knife to do this.

Providing you get a piece of smooth wood of some sort that will be
the same thickness as the upvc panel fitting something in place
won't be a problem. Need to be smooth so you can get
the beading back in.