Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.energy,misc.consumers,sci.agriculture
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden.

In article , h wrote:

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In article , h wrote:

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message

Hogs get fat from high calorie intake. Keep in mind that when the low
carb craze was expanding, America's waistlines and diabetes rates
continued expanding.

It's not a "craze". It's been around forever. I stopped eating all grains in
my 20s, when I discovered my gluten sensitivity. If I ate wheat I got
asthma, if I didn't I was fine. I had already stopped eating most other
carbs because I would crash after eating them. I had never heard of "Atkins"
at the time. It was just healthy, proper eating. I'm now in my 50s and I
weigh the same as I did in my 20s. I've gained an inch or two since my
ballet dancer days, but muscle weighs more than fat, and I only exercise an
hour a day these days, so I'm not as fit as I was then. Still, I have more
energy than any carb guzzler half my age.

The type of calories DO matter, not just the amount. A 1,000 low carb
calorie diet of will cause anyone to lose weight, while a 1,000 high carb
calorie diet will cause most people to gain weight, exercising or not. Plus,
they'll be tired and feel hungry all the time.

I would call a liar anyone who says that an adult can gain weight in fat
from 1,000 calories a day.

Also, if I eat 1500 calories in a day or less, I have high incidence of
feeling tired and hungry and get slowed down on my bike no matter what
form the calories are, though worse with less carb - been there, done
that, tried it!

Also, I have NEVER met someone who didn't lose a LOT of weight on any low
carb diet.

I have! Plenty! Coworkers, friends, relatives!

The problem is that they go back to their "normal" diet of sugar
poison and gain it all back.

Mostly they abandon low-carb after finding low-carb not working after
the first couple weeks once the body efficiently makes use of calories
mostly from fat or protein - or not working at all.

Low carbing is something that should be done
for a lifetime, not just to dump some weight. If every type II diabetic cut
carbs from his or her diet today, most of them would be symptom free in a
few weeks. Fat doesn't make you fat. Sugar makes you fat.

You avoid mentioning starch!

Meanwhile, I have a friend who made a major calorie intake cut after
having a heart attack, cutting mainly fat, after that alcohol, after that
minor cuts in protein and carbs, and his calorie intake intake is now high
majority carbs (was before half carb at most). He eats breakfast cereal
for a late afternoon snack in place of something fattier. He counts every
percentage point of "recommended daily intake" of fat and mostly stays
below half that - in part on advice of his cardiologist, but also because
that reduces calorie density bigtime.

He went from pudgy with a beer belly to nice and lean. His
triglycerides are now a little over half the upper limit of the good
range. His cardiologist has reduced the frequency of need for bloodwork
because that guy has the best numbers his cardiologist sees in any of his
patients. He even got good numbers when his late afternoon (or early
evening) snack bowl of cereal was Froot Loops.

He largely quit fattier meats and pizza, and he quit eating American
chinese takeout food (mostly having a fair amount of soybean oil - unlike
what is usually actually done in China).

His weekend restaurant fare shifted significantly towards buffet places
(pig out on veggies of all carb levels) and Subway (footlong no-cheese
subs with the lean meats). Or a steak place and get a smaller steak and
extra side veggies (including beans, whatever) and buttering his potato
very minimally.

He started walking daily, average of about 2 miles a day.

I credit his highly effective weight loss mostly to reduction of calorie
intake by cutting more where calorie density is higher.

- Don Klipstein )