Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Outlet in the middle of the floor

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:23:08 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I am thinking of custom making a large table (about 120" long by 48" wide)
in the dinning room that will actually protrude about 1/3 of it into the
kitchen. One end of it will serve as an extra island counter for the
kitchen. Since this table will be in the middle of the space, I think I
will need an outlet in case I want to plug in and charge a cell phone, or
plug in a laptop to work on things, may be a juicer etc...

Only problem is the floor is a 4" thick concrete slab and the nearest wall
is 12 feet 2 inches away from the proposed outlet location.

I am not too excited about trenching 12 feet of concrete to put in a PVC
pipe for underground wiring, but I don't think there is another way around
it. I have seen some very flat 12/2 cables that are rated for outdoor UG
use but I am not sure. I will be using stone tiles in the kitchen and those
flat cables may be a possibility but I don't know if that is a good idea.

Another option is to go from the top, then put in a decorative pole from
ceiling to floor punching through the table and the wires go inside, I could
even do phone and cat5 cables in it too.

Thoughts?

MC

Flat cable works fine, especially on the side with no traffic.