Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor Weatherproof Receptacles - Curiosity

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 06:25:59p, Mark Lloyd told us...

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 00:15:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sat 26 Apr 2008 04:43:43p, Tony Hwang told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 26 Apr 2008 04:21:56p, Tony Hwang told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

This is a question of curiosity more than anything, as I don't plan
to make changes to the way I have installed outdoor outlets.

In several homes, including the present one where I am currently
installing outdoor outlets, this has been my method...

At a point opposite on the inside of the house where a receptable
already exists, I drill a hole in the outside wall (cedar), and from
the inside, push through a length of exterior grade "romex" (the
same guage as the interior wiring) through an existing self-clamping
opening in the interior junction box to the outside and through the
hole. I connect the inside wires to the existing receptacle.

On the outside, I seal the hole around the romex with silicone
sealant, and mount an exterior weatherproof box (also sealed behind
it with silicone swealant. After the sealant has cured, I connect a
GFCI receptacle to the romex and mount it in the box. I then attach
an "always in use" hooded cover plate to complete the installation.

While I know this has proven to be safe over all the years I've used
this technique, I wonder whether it is really according to code, and
if not, what exactly would the code require instead.

BTW, I currently live in Mesa, AZ, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any responses.

Hi,
And better be on GFCI circuit.

The receptacle I install in the box is GFCI. I need more than that?

Hi,
You are OK then. My exterior ones are daisy chained. And Jacuzzi tub
is the only one having it's own GFCI breaker.

Each of my exterior outlets is a one-off with an indoor outlet (although
some of these are on the same circuit in the main panel), and each has
its own GFCI receptacle. Back in OH when we had a Jacuzzi tub, it also
had its own GFCI breaker. I presently have no GFCI breakers in my main
panel. For now I don't think there's a need. It's a brand new home,
and every outlet that needs GFCI protection has it's on protected
outlet.

One flaw that I made in the first house where I installed exterior
outlets was replacing the interior receptacle with a GFCI, then feeding
the exterior outlet. It was inconvenient when something outside would
cause a fault and whatever was plugged in inside would also go out.
Lesson learned. :-)

I know someone around here who has 2 exterior receptacles wired to
interior ones, with the GFCI in the interior location. This makes it
easy to control holiday lights without having to go out in bad
weather.

Thanks for your comments...

Well, yes it does, if you don't mind tripping the circuit and not being
able to use the indoor socket when you want the holiday light off. I need
the full time use of the interior sockets. As far as holiday lights, I
have mine on weatherproof plug-in timers. I've also heard, though
unsubstantiated, that it's not a good idea to use the GFCI "test" switch as
an on/off switch. Apparently it wasn't meant for constant use as such.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)