Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,sci.energy,misc.consumers,sci.agriculture
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Food shortage ethanol follies, I've planted a food garden.

wrote:
On Apr 25, 10:20 pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In
,

annezie wrote:
I think growing a garden is the smart thing to do this year.

I went and got some more plants today.

About high prices: I have noticed that bread is a lot higher too. At
least a dollar more per loaf here in Kentucky, which to me is a lot.

Even at today's high prices, the wheat in a loaf of bread costs about
20 cents or somewhat less.

If I understand right, wheat prices at the Chicago Board of Trade
most recently went for $8-$8.09 per bushel. (The price peaked in late
February, a bit over $12 at Chicago Board of Trade and about $17 at
Minneapolis Board of Trade IIUC.)

A bushel of wheat weighs 60 pounds. That has wheat costing about 8.3
cents per pound. A loaf of bread usually weighs 22-24 ounces,
including some added water.

I would encourange gardening to combat the inflation in
whatever/whoever is increasing the size of their slices of the pie.

On this and your earlier post on obesity, perhaps
growing more of our own food is part of the solution.

Nope.

Kids play videogames for hours rather than fieldsports,

Plenty still play various sports.

and we drive our cars to the supermarket and load up the food
rather than planting, hoeing weeds, and harvesting and preparing.

Those are a pretty minor energy user with the usual home garden.

If we do more of what earlier generations
did, we will start looking more like them.

Nope, the food we eat is very different for starters.

Even if we don't grow all of our own food, we
will appreciate more the work that goes into it.

Nope, not when the vast bulk of the food we eat comes from industrialised agriculturer now.

The greater supply will lower the overall market demand, moderating prices.

Pure fantasy. The prices that most howl about cant be produced at home.

It will also save some of the fuel used to carry the food from the field to our table.

Such a trivial part of that that its irrelevant.

As much corn as the US grows, it is much less
acreage and effort than goes into our lawns.

But we dont put that much effort into that now, we use machines to do most of that now.