Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Tapping cast iron

How'd you know this was a Cummins? Looks like 4 bolts off of the exhaust
manifold, a clamp in front and back. 2 of the bolts are in the back and
have to be gotten from underneath. They said removing is difficult only
because of accessability. They probabaly mounted the turbo prior to
putting the exhaust manifold.

Wayne D.

however hard it is, it can't be harder than removing the turbo from an Audi
TT - that was a real total absolue (place curse word here) nightmare -
daughter broke a timing belt - well OK, we can fix that - just pull the
head - but to get the head off you gotta remove manifold to turbo bolts and
one stripped (don't ask, removing the head is non-trivial - a motor mount
goes through the middle of the timing belt, for example) - anyway, I cut the
bolt with a air driven cutoff and got the head off, and then was so tired
that when I went to unscrew the bolt it unscrewed easily and then I dropped
it right into the turbo where no amount of fishing with a magnet would get
it out (turns out it isn't magnetic, but I didn't realize that at the
time) - taking the turbo out (with the head off) took about 2 1/2 hours -
with the head in place I just can't imagine how long and how difficult it
would be - and putting it back was worse - there is no room, the
transmisison for all wheel drive is underneath it, and there are oil AND
water lines (2 of each) going into it, plus a mounting bracket that you
can't see and have to unscrew by feel, plus ....

so, trust me - don't do what I did..... and be glad you have more
accessability than on the TT.