Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outdoor Weatherproof Receptacles - Curiosity

This is a question of curiosity more than anything, as I don't plan to make
changes to the way I have installed outdoor outlets.

In several homes, including the present one where I am currently installing
outdoor outlets, this has been my method...

At a point opposite on the inside of the house where a receptable already
exists, I drill a hole in the outside wall (cedar), and from the inside,
push through a length of exterior grade "romex" (the same guage as the
interior wiring) through an existing self-clamping opening in the interior
junction box to the outside and through the hole. I connect the inside
wires to the existing receptacle.

On the outside, I seal the hole around the romex with silicone sealant, and
mount an exterior weatherproof box (also sealed behind it with silicone
swealant. After the sealant has cured, I connect a GFCI receptacle to the
romex and mount it in the box. I then attach an "always in use" hooded
cover plate to complete the installation.

While I know this has proven to be safe over all the years I've used this
technique, I wonder whether it is really according to code, and if not,
what exactly would the code require instead.

BTW, I currently live in Mesa, AZ, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any responses.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 04(IV)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)