Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics.electromag
DaveM DaveM is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
I have a broken pool motor [magnetek y56y] which will cost a bundle to
fix
or repair.
While doing a search on the web, I found the same model (really cheap)
but
wired for 280V, instead of the 230 V load that my wiring is supplies.
Now, I was thinking of buying the cheap 280V model and installing it
instead. Aside from rotating at a different speed and
maybe some power inefficiencies, are there any other drawbacks of
using the 280V model
instead?

If it's the same model motor, you might be able to rewire it for your 230V
supply. Look at the nameplate or inside the wiring chamber to see if there is a
wiring diagram that details wiring connections for different voltages.
Barring that, you might search the Mfr's website (if they are still in business)
or Google for the make and model of your motor and see if there is any data on
it that details the wiring instructions.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they bring a
smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.