Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Replacing uPVC door panel

wrote:

Once I've removed it and measured the panel size and thickness, how
much might I expect to pay for a replacement panel? (and any
recommendations in Cambridgeshire for sourcing one?)

I'm not at all sure whether it's possible to simply remove the panels;
unlike the glass sealed units, aren't they built into the frame when
it's manufactured? So you'd be talking about a whole new door. Could be
wrong though.

Given this will only be a temporary arrangement (perhaps 3 years),
could I make a saving by fitting a suitably thick piece of plywood?
Presumably this would make fitting the cat flap easier, but could it
have security implications?

Well plywood itself is probably more thief-proof than an equivalent uPVC
panel, provided it's properly mounted. That might be awkward to do, and
an identical piece of uPVC would probably be easier to use in fact,
provided you can get the old one out OK.

Can you identify the manufacturer of the door? That would be the best
route to find an identical panel. You could try a local firm that
manufactures doors to order on-site, or maybe one of these outfits that
does maintenance for uPVC windows and doors.

david