Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default Tapping cast iron

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:00:33 -0500, Jordan
wrote:

Alternately they say I can drill and tap the hole
with the engine running. Once the drill bit goes
goes through, the exhaust pressure is supposed to
push any particles out.
Wayne D.

The method I use to retap spark plug holes (for inserts) might be
applicable here, at least for the tapping part of the job. In COLD
conditions, smear grease onto tap. Then just cut a bit of thread, remove
tap and clean off metal dust/swarf. Reapply some more grease and repeat.
Done this a few times and the engines survived, even though it's not a
guaranteed method, as it's feasible some debris could still fall into
cylinder.

But if it's comfortable enough working on a running supercharger, that
sounds pretty safe, as far as avoiding iron dust in the engine. Manifold
pressure ought to be positive at all times, right? Vibration an issue?

Jordan

They said vibration shouldn't be an issue.

Wayne D.