Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default PC Power supply

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
My son has an E-Machine T3828 that will not power up. Unfortunately he is
around 100 miles away so I do not have more information. There were no
changes made to the PC that might have caused this.
At first glance it is easy to blame the P/S itself, but a new replacement
did not help.

A detail: He reports that with either supply there is a single LED on the
M/B that lights up. What controls this light?
On either P/S there is no other sign of life. No fans turn on.

What are the likely causes?

I have considered some. The power switch may have failed. Or the
mechanical
link from the front panel to the switch.

IIRC there is a pin on the M/B-P/S connector that provides an input to the
supply so that the supply turns on.. Is that a set level? What controls
it?

I am considering having him drive down with it. I can repair electronic
devices, but I have never come across this situation.

Is there a likelihood that the fault is in the M/B?

Thanks,

Charlie

The light is simply wired to the standby output of the PSU.

I've seen bad motherboards cause this, could also be the power button or the
wiring between that and the motherboard. The other time I saw this the
graphics card was not fully inserted in the slot.