Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default OT - use of a pneumatic vacuum pump (auto A/C use), converting R12 manifold gages to R134A?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 04:53:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Thanks for the replys - not intending to get people riled up. I had
planned on taking it to an A/C shop to have it drawn down and
recharged but then I thought that since I need to do this again for
two more cars next year - I might as well look into buying a vacuum
pump and a set of 134A gages or adapter ends for my existing R22
gages..

This car is only 4 1/2 years old so it is already R134A from the
factory and I have already purchased the receiver/dryer along w/ the
replacement condensor. The tube clip chaffed thru the condensor tube
back in Nov or Dec. I'm a bit ****ed at myself for not thinking about
looking for a vacuum pump back in Dec/Jan/Feb.

I'm considering trying one of the pneumatic pumps from Harbor Freight
- if it does not work, I have 30 days to return it. My father has an
older A/C vac pump - but he lives on the opposite end of the country
from me.

Check pawn shops, E-bay and Craigslist, and other sources for a used
vacuum pump. Unless it's been beat to death and the oil never
changed, they last.

The only differences between a R-12 and R-134 manifold is the Acme
QC hose fittings and the markings on the gauges - and the high side
goes higher. The one from Harbor Freight will work fine, but if you
don't trust them they run around $100 for a 'real' one.

It is possible to build your own recovery machine out of a good used
hermetic compressor and other spare pieces, but you have to have a
clue how to do it - in Eastern Europe where the Communist system meant
they simply could not buy refrigerant at any price before the Wall
fell, they've been recovering and reusing refrigerants for decades
with homemade gear.

And a recovery cylinder is a propane cylinder with a yellow over
grey paint job and a different valve.

-- Bruce --