Posted to rec.woodworking
depictureboy depictureboy is offline

Default the guy at the lumber store

On Apr 25, 9:56*am, Contrarian wrote:
*Said I needed "hardwood, he thought" *It was a new question
*for him. *

*I'm not at all sure. I want to cut some door and shelf
*handles. *This is not artistic carving. *Think blocks,
*rectangular. *Have no idea why the wood would make any
*difference (not balsa of course, but that's technically
*"hard" isn't it?) *Color not really important either.

I am not sure if this is spam or not, but anyway. I was at lowes the
other day (not the usual store I go to for stuff but its getting close
to summer and Ill need an alternate supplier when the traffic
hits)looking for melamine particle board. It really seems like its a
rare item around my area. only the shore side big boxes seem to carry
it, and none of the local lumber shops. Anyway I ask the guy who was
working the lumber area about it, and tried to explain it to him. "You
know the white stuff they use for shelves and cabinets" MEL-A-MINE
covered par-ticle board......shows me particle board. NO ITS
WHITE!!!!!!! They make book cases and cabinets from it!!! OH here is
cabinet grade plywood. BAH.. NEVER MIND!!!!
I admonished my daughter that if she was ever working in retail, that
she better know about the specialty she is in or she will look like an
idiot.