Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] aribert@c3net.net is offline

Default When a stainless steel sink rusts - eliminating the rust?

I am (very slowly) renovating houses on the side to turn them into
rentals - future retirement income. On my current project house, a
pump type soap dispenser began to leak on the edge of the kitchen sink
soon after I bought the house. I ignored the soap scum and pulled the
sink for reuse after I reconfigured the kitchen. Half a year later, I
was ready to reinstall the sink and I tried to clean the soap scum off
and there were half a dozen rust spots (about 3/16 dia) in the
stainless under soap scum. I knocked the red rust down when cleaning
the sink but now I am left with black spots (that I suspect will
return to red rust if they get wet). I have considered trying to buff
the spots (pits?) out with a scotch bright pad on my right angle die
grinder. Anyone have experiance with trying to buff rust out of
stainless? How deep might I need to buff?