Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Dual-flush toilets are disastrous - official

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, John wrote:

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
id...
In uk.d-i-y, Martin Pentreath wrote:
http://timesonline.typepad.com/envir...lush-toil.html

Bizarre. The headline is

"Dual-flush toilets are disastrous - official"

But the article itself actually says nothing about dual-flush toilets.
It also contains a lot of anecdote and nothing whatsoever about
"official" opinion. This about as low as technical journalism gets. It's
depressing that John-Paul Flintoff can earn a crust churning out this
garbage.

Moving on to the actual substance of the article, the idea that you need
to lay a piece of paper across the back of the loo to detect a leak of
3000 litres a day is laughable. Even if the water was invisibly flowing
over the porcelain, the disturbance to the water surface would be
obvious to anyone who took the trouble to look.

I think that internal overflows are actually an excellent idea. Anyone
who ignores a leak in the toilet pan itself would be ten times more
likely (in my totally unofficial opinion) to ignore a leak from an
external overflow pipe.

If the "Warning Pipe" is somewhere visible then I cant see how anyone (or
their friends) could ignore it.

I've no idea what you mean by the "Warning Pipe". Could you explain?

The trouble with the internal overflow is
that it isn't very apparent - you could easily think the bowl is just wet
from a previous flush.

As I said before, the most obvious sign isn't just wetness, which if
uniform is pretty-much invisible anyway. But there will be a stream of
water actually cascading down the porcelain, or (more obviously)
disturbance to the surface of the water already in the bowl.

(Also many women (I believe) back up to the WC

I've been known to sit on the WC myself so I do know how that works.

and
don't really normally take a look.

Anyone who doesn't take an interest in their surroundings is asking for
precisely the sort of trouble we're talking about. I suspect that they
wouldn't notice water coming out of an external overflow pipe either.

And I wonder who cleans the lavatory in his house ...

Mary