Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Remove 13 ft. bearing wall - Beam choices?

In article ,
"Dave in Houston" wrote:

"hogheavenfarm" wrote in message

I looked at the "beam-over" pics, good idea, but I was concerned
about the bottom chord of the rafter overlap, looked like only 4-6",
should be more.

What you cannot see in the picture is that the angle iron brackets are
thru-bolted to both sets of ceiling joists, on both sides of the beam.

Others have correctly pointed out, that the posts must
rest on solid bases, all the way down.

Here's another shot of the new space minus the old wall. The end
support for the beam in this case consisted of four 2X4s, three ganged side
by side in the outside wall cavity and one sistered on the interior side
perpendicular which you can see in the pic.

http://www.pbase.com/speedracer/image/2622654

Dave in Houston

One thing I don't see discussed very often on ahr is sheer strength.
AIUI, houses with a lot of doors and windows often use an interior wall
not only for load bearing, but also for sheer. It's worth considering.
When I added a window and a pocket closet door in the bedroom, I had to
make sheer strength modifications to what was left of the walls.