Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How close is close enough...

DCH wrote in news:Xns9A8AE3AAA90E3hayniedcgmailcom@
216.77.188.18:

soooooo....do you guys think a variation of way less than 1\128
compounded over five eight inch cuts would be close enought for a dude
in his garage trying to make some nifty things for his house and
freinds?

This sure is better than all the spam we been gettin as of late...

Going back to physics measurements, if your uncertainty (variation in the
cut in this case) is 1/128, then 5 cuts would give you a total
uncertainty of 5/128, or just over 1/32". That's +/- 5/128, too, so some
cuts could be more and some could be less.

One hidden truth is that some cuts will be a little less and some will be
a little more... You'll wind up somewhere in the middle of your
uncertainty range, not at the edge cases.

Puckdropper