Bill Wallace

Default Questions on weight-closed fencegate

Yes, rising butts, although I never knew they wer comercially produced
and the sizes I apply are much larger "butt" that is exactly like
what we build.

I'll leave all the obvious puns about "rising butts" to your
imagination.

Gnube wrote in message . ..
On 23 Jul 2003 08:45:31 -0700, (Bill Wallace) wrote:

I can propose a "different" solution, not a spring or weight, that
works pretty slick. We call it a ramp hinge. It involves making your
own hinges out of pipe sections. If the barrels of the hinges are cut
in a bias where they meet, the gate rises slightly as it opens and
rides back down to level, which closes it when released.

If this is hard to envision, just imagime when you cut the pipe to
make the two hinge barrels you cut it on your miter saw at say 20
degrees.

Just an idea. I've used it on large metal gates for years without a
hitch.

I'm sure I am missing something here, but then again; isn't this just
rising butts?

Like these?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...25 6&ts=59071

(Cut and paste into a text proggy if it wraps on you, or go to
screwfix.com and type "rising butt" into the search box there.)

I bet I missed something here, being a dumb gnube!

Hope it helps.

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}