Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dual-flush toilets are disastrous - official

R D S wrote:
Martin Pentreath wrote:
http://timesonline.typepad.com/envir...lush-toil.html

When a toilet is flushed, bath plug pulled out etc, the water leaves the
house via the 5in pipes.
Where does it go?

halfway down the garden to a tank, in my case, and then out into an old
dry ditch.

I have always assumed that it makes it's way back to a plant somewhere for
treatment.

Then what? Is it put back into the system or flushed into the sea? Some will
leak so that ends up in the water table I would expect.

Flushed into a river or the sea normally.

Where is the environmental disaster?

No environmental disuater, just a problem of needing more to replace it:

ISTM that there will always be the same amount of water, it simply moves
about a bit.

Feel free to point out the flaws in my thinking.

The flaws is that we need fresh treated water in the supplies.

What comes out of a sewage works is not that fresh, but is still treated
somewhat: you cant just keep recycling it round without nature doing
some evaporation and distillation.

Or make nice big desalination plants nexts to nuclear power stations.