Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Dual-flush toilets are disastrous - official

On Apr 25, 8:02 pm, "John" wrote:
"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message

http://timesonline.typepad.com/envir...lush-toil.html

I note that some of the comments from plumbers refer to the device in the
cistern as a "Siphon" - it isn't as it doesn't siphon the water. It is
merely a release valve.

Near where I live are some (older) houses with plastic (or hose in a couple
of cases) pipes connected to the toilet overflow to lead the water to a
rainwater hopper! Amazing how a simple ball valve defeats the d-i-y ability
of some people yet they will climb a ladder to perform a bodge.

I don't like the idea of an internal overflow - but I feel that we lost the
plot when we didn't persevere in calling the "overflow" a "warning pipe"

I think "Save the siphon - before it's too late!" suggests returning
to a "real" syphon, that cannot possibly leak. However that uses a
large amount of water per flush.
Otherwise I like the internal overflow because I can see if it's
overflowing. I seldom see an external overflow that is easily visible
by the householder.
Why do people see water running continuously and not expect their
water bill to be high?