Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default Interesting item I found in trailer parts catalog

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:35:58 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:14:40 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I was not talkign of bolting through the whole tube, I was talking of
going through only one side of the tube by threadding the metal and
also welding.

Bad idea. Not enough thread engagement, too much stress
concentration.

The boat trailer sliders I've seen use U-bolts to clamp the slider
to the frame channels, and when they have it in the right position
they tighten the clamps and make a couple of tack-welds between each
end of the slide and the frame, so it doesn't move on it's own.

If they make changes to the boat and move the CG, you grind off the
tack-welds, loosen the U-bolts, and slide the axle as needed. They
are not meant to be easily field adjustable every time you reload.

-- Bruce --