Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Vehicle ownership and changing vehicle registered keeper

PM wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
John Rumm (John Rumm ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

I think I would be inclined to let him keep the depreciated asset, and
chase the loan instead!
"What loan?"

The money he borrowed from her parents and used to buy the car. It was
not a HP agreement - just an unsecured loan by the sounds of it. So how
he spent the money does not seem that relevant. That he did not repay it
is the real issue. (It depends a bit on if it was just "him" that
borrowed the money... probably more likely the couple borrowed it so you
may have difficulty assigning liability)

They borrowed the money as a couple.
He is unlikely to pay anything back - he/they didn't while they had the car
(by the original verbal agreement it would mostly be paid back by now).

I get the impression the parents are resigned to not seeing all the money -
but to let B have the car is an unpalatable option.

So drive it somewhere else.

Yu have keys, so its not breaking and entering. It is not even taking a
car without the owners permission, since the owner is in dispute.

I think I would drive it straight to a garage, and ask them to change
the ignition key since' we think the other key has been stolen' ;-)