Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
jloomis jloomis is offline

Default Remove 13 ft. bearing wall - Beam choices?

You can upgrade the beam, and install it in the cieling......That is joist
hang the ceiling joists to the beam and install it in the cieling.....Yes
you need to support the cieling with temporary.
Also where the beam is supported on either side, you need to make sure you
have solid post and underfloor support i.e. blocking and pier support
directly under posts.....
What size are the cieling joists......
With that span of 13 ft. and your live load upper part, you should be able
to calc out a beam and or oversize it. What about a 6x10? Laminate beams
are stronger but not decorative.
with I beams usually wood is attached that the joists are attached to.
I have done many types of wall / ceiling supports with and without
engineering.
4x4 4 feet
4x6 6 feet
4x8 8 ft....
4x10 10 ft
a 4x12 will span 12 ft.......
When using 6x......they will increase the span....
jloomis
"Bill" wrote in message
Before I go and hire an architect, get building permit, etc. I would like
to get a ballpark on what this might look like...

I have a bearing wall (2x4 studs) which is 13 ft. long in my living room
which I am thinking of tearing out and replacing with a beam. (2 story
house - living room first floor.)

But looking at "span tables", this is looking like it would need a solid
wood beam like 4 x 10? Well a 10" beam would come down a bit far and not
look so good...

So how about a steel I-beam? I looked at span tables for I-beams and it
looks like a "W6x9" would do the trick? This would come down less and look
better.

Anyway I don't know a thing about steel I-beams. Does "W6x9" mean 6 inches
wide and 9 inches high?

Is there a smaller I-beam which would work for this span?

And I have 2x4 walls that this I-beam would connect to on each side. Would
the I-beam just rest on say 4 x 6 wood posts? Or have holes drilled in the
bottom of the I-beam and lag screw it to the wood posts?

And how would I fasten the joists resting on the top of the I-beam to the
I -beam?