Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Flat roofs, glue or mechanically fasten?

On Apr 23, 6:07*pm, wrote:
I assumed it was to allow for expansion/contraction due to temperature
changes, which is why I was concerned about glueing down a new roof.

I suppose I could do a test: mark a few points and measure between
them at different temps.

Now another question...Can/should I use exterior plywood for the
underlayment instead of the [current] Iso-Board?

On Apr 23, 6:45*pm, Big_Jake wrote:

You have a real oddball there, Mike. *Typically flat roofs are done in
bitumen (torch-down), EPDM (rubber), or tar & gravel. *Rubber roofs
typically have a service life of around 40 years, glued down, in all
sorts of weather. *Temperatures should not be an issue, but uplift can
be, depending on the size of the roof.

JK- Hide quoted text -

Look into a rubber roof it is melted in place, or if your flat roof is
in a high heating area like Zone 6 or less , consider FOAM roofing of
up to 7 inches, I am considering it. Many flat roof construction has
no insulation in my area, heat loss is maybe 40% up and out an
uninsulated roof for me thats $6000+ a year. Think about cutting your
bill 20-30%