Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Neutralize Muriatic acid

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:01:50 -0400, Jennifer
wrote:

Oren wrote:

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:35:50 -0400, Jennifer
wrote:

"David B." wrote:

Don't think you have to be concerned . Some pool owners use muriatic aid to
lower ph.

Right, but that's added to an entire full pool of water! Different story when
concentrated acid is touching something directly.

Goes back my question originally (OP); neutralize the acid in a pool
of water. While I work I don't want etching acid sitting there, at
the pool bottom.

I'm buying 5 lbs of soda ash, just for this puddle of water.

Makes sense, but you don't need to over do the soda ash either. A too basic
solution will do a lot less damage to concrete and grout than a too acid solution,
but both are harmful to finishes and your health if too strong.

I'll be frugal. An earlier link suggest two pounds of soda ash would
neutralize one gallon of acid. My solution will be diluted 1 acid
4-6 water, spray on the pool walls and flush with a water hose.

The puddle that forms would not need much soda ash... enough to stop
the "fizzing". The water hose would be also filling the puddle at the
bottom of the pool... more dilution. Then I can pump it out to
sewer.Thanks for the comments.