Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod[_2_] LRod[_2_] is offline

Default O/T What are the real truths? What is happening right under our nose?

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:25:39 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Many years ago premium was commonly 50% more expensive
than regular. Today it is about 8% more expensive.

I don't know what "many years ago" is to you, but it takes me back to
my yout of the '50s, when regular was commonly 22¢ a gallon or
thereabouts. We were never premium users, so I can't say with
certainty that it wasn't 11¢ higher but I'd be very surprised if it
was. When I was doing my commuting during the '60s regular was still
relatively low, ranging from 28¢ to 34¢, but I am fairly certain
premium (or any gas) was not over 40¢ then.

I remember well the gas lines of the '70s and when the price started
creeping toward $1, but premium was never $1.50 until much later. Even
closer to now as we've gone past $1.50, $2.00, $2.50, and $3.00 I
don't ever remember seeing premium at half again as much.

It would be my assessment that the 8% you quoted to 10 or even 15% is
actually closer to the historical record. I can't imagine it was ever
"commonly 50% more expensive." That doesn't jibe with my memory.

Of course even when Sunoco had pumps with about six or more selections
of grade (remember 260?) I'll bet there wasn't as much as a 50%
premium from lowest to highest grade.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.