Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Finding really dense metals

"Tim Shoppa" wrote: Like I said, I am looking for scrap, not machining down
from billet!
With scrap I could contemplate trying to pack it all into a little
pint-size can, without having to melt it down or do too much cutting.
The reason people are suggesting a solid billet is that no matter how you
try, you will not get the spaces out from between the pieces of scrap. You
lose average density due to the little spaces between the pieces. You
probably won't come out ahead of solid lead pured into the can.

Maybe you could fill the can as full as possible with scrap tungsten or
uranium, and then pour molten lead into the spaces.