Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Finding really dense metals

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:05:58 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:23:23 -0700 (PDT), the renowned Tim Shoppa
wrote:

On Apr 23, 10:15*am, "Nick Leone" wrote:
Tungsten has a *really* high melting point (6192?°F), and uranium is pretty
high as well (2070°F). *In anything, you'd need a chunk large enough to
machine down to size.

Again, I was hoping to get some random scrap that could go into a can
or bucket pretty densely.

*What's your price range on this project?

Don't want to pay too much more than lead, but I'll pay a little more.
Lead scrap sold for fishing weights at the junkyard seems to be $2 a
pound, and I'd pay more for denser metals than lead, so max price I'd
like to pay for 20 pounds of denser stuff would be circa very low
hundreds of $.

Like I said, I am looking for scrap, not machining down from billet!
With scrap I could contemplate trying to pack it all into a little
pint-size can, without having to melt it down or do too much cutting.

Tim.

Maybe some junk tungsten carbide bits cast into a Pb matrix?

15.6 g/cm^3 for tunsten carbide
11.3 g/cm^3 for lead

Spehro Pefhany

Clever!