Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tanner-'op Tanner-'op is offline

Default Hanging a joist hanger from a concrete lintel

Tim Downie wrote:
We're have an internal wall removed and to hold the upstairs up, a
concrete lintel is going in. Rather late in the day I realised that
the depth of the lintel (9"), if placed under the upstairs floor
joists, is going to make a sizeable impression on the headroom
downstairs.
It occured to me that if joist hangers could be fitted to the lintel,
then the lintel could be placed 6" higher up (the depth of the
upstairs joists).
I'll ask my builder tomorrow (who I'm sure knows the answer to this)
but I just thought I'd ask here in case he does any teeth sucking and
muttering along the lines of "Can't be done squire" etc. etc..

Tim

Tim,

Is it not possible to use a timber 'trimmer' joist between the existing
floor joists to support the stairs at the correct level?

Tanner-'op