Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default WR overlay designation for a fusible resistor?

Arfa Daily wrote:

Who can tell ? Why "Q" for a transistor ?

'T' was already used for 'Transformer'.

Why "U" for an IC ?

'I' was already used for 'Indicator'.

Why "VDD" ?

Voltage, 'Drain' (for cmos).

Why "VSS" ?

Voltage, 'Source' (for cmos).

I bet if you think for a while, there's loads of these that
don't 'appear' to make any sense, but must have to the o.e.d. I don't think
that there is anything particularly special about fusible resistors in terms
of the materials used to make the resistive element. As far as I know, they
are still carbon or metal film, with a completely non-flammable coating. I
think it is probably the internal connections that are 'necked' or something
to make them deliberately vulnerable to excess current, or heat in the
substrate, generated by excess dissipation.

Arfa

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM